Friday, December 11, 2009

I just don't understand religion anymore.

So I've been looking at a lot of videos about religion, atheism, christianity, islam, judaism, buddhism, and a bunch of other "isms" about how they're legit and how they're false. I think Ray Comfort is my favorite so far! I watched him on YouTube with opposition having calm discussions and debates about god's existence/non-existence. His answer with anything that was tricky or if he felt cornered, he just cried 'uncle' by saying "Oh, God did it! He meant it that way because he is all-mighty, all-knowing, and he has a plan!"

Guess how hard it must be for the debaters! I mean c'mon, what would the Atheists say, "because science told me to"? It doesn't make sense on the Atheists' side (therefore was not used by them) and neither should it make sense on his side either.

I've come to realize a lot more things in the past few years about religion and how it impacts societies, social/civil livelihoods, and alternative explanations/interpretations of scriptures and holy texts.

For example, my biggest one yet has been about how the Quran is not only written in Arabic in the original text, but also in Syro-Aramaic. I speak Arabic (I'm not Muslim by the way, I'm Buddhist/Atheist) and have read the Quran several times and have had trouble understanding mere grammatical and syntax phrases. It turns out that it's not Arabic after all! I know, it's kinda weird, but the two languages are so similar but they have different grammatical structures and vocabulary. The funniest mis-translation so far was the whole 72 virgins thing turned out to be raisins... yea... people get themselves for something they could buy at a damn grocery store for cheap....

Well, it's pretty late and I have work and school tomorrow morning... I guess this is where I'll leave off until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment